Please read and acknowledge the explanations and requirements
Application for Evaluation of Foreign Educational Credentials
Information on Josef Silny and Associates, Inc., International Education Consultants (JS&A)
JS&A is an organization of highly qualified international education consultants. Mr. Silny is recognized nationally and internationally as an expert in the field of foreign credential evaluations and international admissions. He has been the Director of International Admissions at the University of Miami and the City University of New York. He has participated as panelist or workshop director at national professional conferences annually since 1974. He has held numerous committee chairmanships and memberships in national professional organizations and corporations. Mr. Silny has published a book and numerous articles in the field of international education. All international education consultants associated with Mr. Silny are highly qualified in the field of foreign credential evaluations. JS&A is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES)
APPLICATION PROCEDURES - Please be sure to read the complete information on our website at www.jsilny.com
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT WE WILL NOT PROCESS YOUR REQUEST FOR ANY SERVICE UNLESS WE RECEIVE YOUR FILLED-OUT AND SIGNED APPLICATION AND CORRESPONDING FEES. JS&A WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DOCUMENTS SENT TO US PRIOR TO THE RECEIPT OF THE FILLED-OUT AND SIGNED APPLICATION AND CORRESPONDING FEES.
In order to receive an evaluation, an applicant must provide the following:
- A completed Application for Evaluation of Foreign Educational Credentials signed by the applicant.
- A non-refundable evaluation fee in U.S. dollars. Make the bank check or money order payable to Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. If you are paying by a credit card you must fill out the Credit Card Information form. All evaluation fees, including fees for rush report, 24 hour report, grade point average equivalent, extra copies, and translation are NON-REFUNDABLE.
- EDUCATIONAL DOCUMENTS
- Official Diplomas and Certificates in the original language.
- Official transcripts in the original language (names of courses, grades, and hours of instruction) for every year of study.
- It is the responsibility of applicants to submit the academic credentials which need to be evaluated.
- TRANSLATIONS: Documents in a language other than English must be accompanied by professional, certified English translations. Translations supplement, but do not replace the original documents. JS&A offers professional certified translations. JS&A is a Corporate Member of the American Translators Association. For further information on the JS&A Translation Service, call 305-273-1616 or e-mail or fax your request for a translation estimate along with all pertinent documents.
E-mail: email@example.com Translation fax: 305-273-1984.
- Please note: a Syllabus of university studies (description of each course or subject studied) may be required for Course-by-Course Evaluations, but you do not need to send this with your application. If it is needed, JS&A will request it.
Processing Information: Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. reserves the right to request to review original documents and may insist that transcripts or examination results be sent directly by the issuing institutions or examination boards to JS&A. For engineering, midwifery and nursing licensure and the Florida Barbers’ Board: transcript, degree, and course descriptions must be sent by the issuing institution(s) directly to JS&A. Academic credentials received directly from foreign institutions are considered confidential and cannot be given to applicants. The documents you submit with your application, with the exception of any originals, will become the property of Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. and they will not be returned. Applicants must submit self-addressed and stamped envelopes for the return of their original academic credentials, or pay for delivery by secure means. Applicants must submit pre-addressed labels or envelopes for mailing of evaluation reports to any location other than the applicant’s address. When it has been determined that documents submitted for evaluation or translation were forged or altered in any way, no evaluation report or translation will be prepared and the fees will not be refunded. Fraudulent documents will not be returned to the applicant. All recipients indicated on the application form will be notified. It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit the documents which need to be evaluated. JS&A will contact the applicant only for the documents without which the evaluation cannot be completed. If the application is not completed within three months, JS&A will close the file. A new evaluation fee will be required for updating the file. JS&A will keep applications with academic credentials for one year only. Please note that all fees are subject to change without notice. Refusal of service: JSA reserves the right to refuse service to anyone.
In preparing an evaluation report, every effort is made to consult appropriate resources, in order to provide the most accurate evaluation possible. JS&A will provide a list of the references used in making the specific evaluation upon written request.
TYPES OF EVALUATIONS
It is the responsibility of applicants to request the type of evaluation and additional services they need.
- Document-by-Document - This evaluation names and describes all diplomas, certificates, degrees, periods of education or training and gives a U.S. equivalent for each. This report is appropriate for freshman or graduate admission, for immigration purposes, for military enlistment and for employment.
- University and Post-Secondary Course-by-Course - This evaluation provides the same information as the document-by-document evaluation, but also gives course, grade, and credit equivalents in U.S. terms for university level study in other countries. This type of evaluation is usually required for transfer into a U.S. college or university. It is required for teacher certification, licensing or membership in professional associations (Engineering, Nursing and CPA examinations require separate evaluations.)
- High School Course-by-Course - This evaluation lists high school courses taken, equivalent US high school units and equivalent US grades. This evaluation is required for students transferring into high schools in the United States and it is sometimes required for freshman admission.
- Standard Processing Time: Evaluations are normally prepared in ten working days from the receipt of all required fees, information and documentation. Evaluations which require extensive research and correspondence may take longer to prepare.
- Rush Evaluation Reports
a) 24-Hour Evaluation Report b) 2-Day Evaluation Report c) 5-Day Evaluation Report
Rush evaluation reports will be completed in a timely fashion, in accordance with the type of rush evaluation report requested, upon receipt of all required fees, information and documentation. If, for any reason, the evaluation report cannot be completed within the specified time after receipt of all required fees, information and documentation, the rush fee will be refunded and the evaluation will be completed as quickly as possible. The rush fee will be adjusted to reflect the actual processing time and a refund of the difference will be issued. Rush evaluation reports must be paid for by bank check, money order or credit card.
COST OF EVALUATIONS
- High School Document-by-Document - U.S. $80
- University and Post-Secondary Document-by-Document – U.S. $80
- High School Course-by-Course - U.S. $140 (For transfer into US high schools and admission to some university programs).
- University and Post-Secondary Course-by-Course - U.S. $140 (For transfer admission and all licensing, except Engineering and Nursing).
- Accounting Course-by-Course – U.S. $160 ($160 for each additional State Board of Accountancy. Please indicate the state).
- Accounting Course-by-Course – U.S. $190 (For each Board of Accountancy which requires upper division identification).
- Engineering Course-by-Course – U.S. $300 (Licensure only). Add $300 for each additional State Board of Professional Engineers.
- Midwifery Course-by-Course – U.S. $300 (Licensure only).
- Nursing Course-by-Course – U.S. $300 (Licensure only). The cost for each additional state board is $300.
- Florida Barbers’ Board Course-by-Course – U.S. $250 (Licensure only).
- 24-Hour Evaluation - U.S. $150 in addition to the basic fee.
- 2-Day Evaluation - U.S. $100 in addition to the basic fee.
- 5-Day Evaluation Report - U.S. $50 in addition to the basic fee.
- Grade Point Average Equivalent - U.S. $40 in addition to the basic fee. (U.S. $40 for each level of education).
- Upper Division Course Identification - U.S. $30 in addition to the Course-by-Course evaluation fee. (Required by some colleges, universities and many boards of accountancy).
- High School Foreign Language Identification – U.S. $30 in addition to the basic fee.
- Re-evaluation - Re-evaluations based on documents not submitted with the original request are considered new evaluations and a second payment of the basic fee is required. When an applicant requests that a Document-by-Document evaluation be changed to a Course-by-Course evaluation, the charge is U.S. $140.
- Extra evaluation reports - Additional original evaluation reports requested at the time of evaluation cost $20 each. Each evaluation report requested after the evaluation has been completed costs $30 (evaluations may be available only within 3 years of the original date of issuance). Please add $5 to the cost of each report that you wish to be mailed to you in a specially sealed JS&A envelope. Applicants must submit pre-addressed labels or envelopes for mailing of evaluation reports to any location other than the applicant’s address
- Notarization of Copies of Original Documents – This service is provided for individuals applying to the Florida Department of Education’s Bureau of Educator Certification or other agencies requesting notarized copies of original educational documents. The fee for this service is $10 per document (diploma, transcript, etc.) Original documents must be presented with payment. If the service is requested by mail, a self-addressed and stamped envelope must be provided for the return of the original documents.
- Return of original documents by secure means:
Within the United States:
- By certified mail: US $15 per address
- By courier: US $40 per address
Outside of the United States:
- International courier: US $80 per address
JS&A accepts no liability for loss or damage of academic credentials during mailing.
JS&A does not accept courier airbills filled out by applicants.
INFORMATION ABOUT EVALUATIONS
Method of Operation - To keep the cost of evaluations as low as possible, the evaluation service is conducted by mail. If there are questions concerning an application, Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. will e-mail, write, or telephone the applicant. If the applicant requests a personal interview, the charge will be U.S. $60 per half hour. Interviews are by appointment only.
Reassessment of Education Systems - Evaluations are based upon the best information and resources currently available to foreign credential evaluators in the United States. Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. reserves the right to reassess educational systems as new and additional information becomes available.
Satisfaction with Evaluations - JS&A generally follows the Placement Recommendations of The National Council on the Evaluation of Foreign Educational Credentials. JS&A guarantees that all evaluations are prepared by highly qualified evaluators, but it cannot guarantee that the applicant will agree with the evaluation. Any questions or concerns about evaluations must be submitted in writing.
ORGANIZATIONS WHICH ACCEPT EVALUATIONS DONE BY JS&A
JS&A is a Member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES). Evaluations prepared by JS&A are accepted and recognized by the organizations listed below:
- U.S. Federal Government
- The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
- The United States Department of Agriculture
- The United States Department of Defense
- The United States Labor Department
- The United States Office of Personnel Management
- Federal Bureau of Prisons
- Health Care Financing Administration
- U.S. Armed Forces
- Licensing Boards
- Accounting: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
- Architecture: Alaska, California
- Barbers: Florida, South Dakota
- Cosmetology: North Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont
- Dentistry: Colorado
- Engineering: Alaska, Florida, Louisiana, Maryland, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Law: California, Florida, Texas
- Marriage and Family Therapy, Mental Health: Florida
- Medical Laboratory: American Medical Technologists, American Society of Clinical Pathologists, Health Care Financing Administration, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, Tennessee
- Midwifery: Florida
- Nursing: Arizona, Florida, New Mexico, Missouri
- Opticianry: Florida
- Psychology: Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Maryland, Virginia
- Respiratory Care: National Board for Respiratory Care, California, Florida
- Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology: American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Florida, Georgia
- State Departments of Education
- Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
- Other Governmental and Private Agencies
- American Association for Clinical Chemistry
- Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine
- American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine
- Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges
- Broward County Sheriff's Office
- CASPA - Central Application Service for Physician Assistants
- Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services
- Office of Personnel of: City of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami Beach, New York City, State of New York.
- Hundreds of Colleges and Universities
- Many other organizations which do not appear on this list may also accept evaluations done by JS&A. Applicants are advised to check with the agency, institution, or organization to which they intend to submit the evaluation to make certain that the evaluation will be recognized.